CUNY's Accelerated Study in Associate Programs (ASAP) assists students in earning Associate degrees within three years by providing a range of financial, academic, and personal supports, including comprehensive and personal advisement, career counseling, tutoring, waivers for tuition and mandatory fees, MTA Metro Cards, and additional financial assistance to defray the costs of textbooks.
To provide comprehensive support to ASAP staff and students, Hostos Community College seeks a Financial Aid Specialist to administer the financial aid processes from beginning to end for all ASAP students and the general student population. The ASAP Financial Aid Specialist will report to the Director of Financial Aid or designee.
In addition to the CUNY Title overview, duties include but are not limited to:
- Serves as the direct resource for ASAP staff on all financial aid related issues which includes escalated matters of priority along with providing timely responses, updates, and analyses/reports, where applicable on financial aid for ASAP students
- Verifies federal financial aid files for ASAP students who are 'selected for verification' by the US Department of Education and makes corrections as needed in accordance with federal student aid regulations to finalize financial aid awards
- Reviews and assesses financial aid documents to administer, coordinate, and reconcile financial aid for ASAP students in accordance with Federal, State, University and institutional regulations that govern student financial aid
- In conjunction with all Financial Aid staff, provides in-person counseling to ASAP students and parents regarding the financial aid processes, the family's specific institution, and various financial aid and financing options.
- Assists ASAP on new initiatives while providing financial literacy and financial aid workshops for ASAP staff/students.
- Conducts campus-based ASAP student financial aid orientations and attend/participates in workshops, ASAP staff meetings, information sessions and training.
- Represents Hostos at CUNY ASAP Financial Aid meetings, councils, and conferences.
- Assists with special projects as assigned.
Bachelor's degree and four years' related experience required. Availability to work weekends and evenings is essential.
The following qualifications are preferred:
- Experience with CUNYFirst system or PeopleSoft running and writing Financial Aid queries
- Ability to work productively and collaboratively in a dynamic student-focused and responsive office
- Strong customer service and interpersonal communication skills with ability to work effectively with a diverse community of students and staff in a large centralized public education system
- Demonstrated writing, proofreading, and editing skills
Applicants must apply online by accessing the CUNY website at www.cuny.edu and navigate to the following links: 'Employment' and 'Search Job Postings'.
Please attach resume, cover letter, and three professional references.